Monday - Thursday, 8am - 8pm
Friday, 8am - 6pm
Saturday, 8am - 4pm
Sunday, 9am - 12 noon
Location & Directions
Pet Vaccinations: Protecting Pets From Disease in Annapolis MD & Beyond
Vaccinations play a key role in your pet’s overall wellness plan. There are many contagious diseases that can easily be spread among our furry friends and, while no vaccine is 100% effective, this simple measure is the best prevention.
As soon as a new pet comes into your life, whether it’s a puppy or kitten, a senior dog or cat, or something in between, please schedule an appointment with us. We will make sure that your newest family member’s vaccines are current in order to protect him or her, along with the other animals in your life.
Lifestyle Choices & Pet Care
When you bring your dog or cat to Bay Country Veterinary Hospital, our veterinarians and staff will take the time to speak with you and gain an understanding of your pet’s lifestyle. Does your cat live exclusively indoors, or does it go outside? Does your dog go to dog parks or the groomer or will it be boarded? The answers to these questions and others will help us to determine which vaccines are necessary for your pet.
Since puppies and kittens have different vaccination requirements, our recommendations below are for adult animals. Please visit our puppy and kitten care section for details about their vaccination needs.
Here are the canine vaccinations that we suggest for Annapolis, Maryland area dogs:
- Rabies (required by law)
- DHPP—This is a combination vaccine that protects canines against distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus.
- Lyme disease—Lyme disease is prevalent in this region. It is caused by a strain of bacteria that is spread via the bite of infected ticks. We recommend this vaccine for any dog that goes outside, whether on a leash or loose.
- Bordetella—This vaccine helps to prevent bacterial infections of the respiratory system, including the ailment commonly referred to as “kennel cough.” If your dog comes into contact with other dogs at the dog park, the groomer, doggy daycare, or is about to be boarded, this vaccine is recommended.
Below are the recommended cat vaccinations for Annapolis, Maryland area felines:
- Rabies (required by law)
- FVRCP—This is a combination vaccine that protects against rhinotracheitis, calici virus, and panleukopenia. We recommend this vaccine for any cat that lives in a multi-pet household or that goes outside.
- Feline leukemia—Just as with the FVRCP vaccine, this vaccine is suggested for cats that have any exposure to the outdoors or to any other cat that goes outdoors.
Vaccinations are just one component of your pet’s overall health care plan. You may also wish to visit our preventive care section to learn about the other services we offer to ensure that your pet is protected, healthy, and happy.